Sunday, October 5, 2008

Camp Reach for the Stars



I just got back from such a great, memorable weekend in the beautiful mountains of Santa Barbara! I volunteered as a camp counselor at Camp Reach for the Stars which is a camp that is put on by the American Cancer Society every year for children with cancer and their families. It was such a neat experience, and something new which I always love. It's a great weekend away camping in the mountains for families and kids to not have to think about cancer or treatment and just have fun. 

For those of you who know me, this was definitely out of my comfort zone because I'm not typically a "camper" :), but this was one of the most fun, rewarding experiences. I mean, I hiked...in the rain!! I "braved the elements." This was a great experience, not only with the families, but with the other counselors as well...it's always fun to make new friends and meet new people from all walks of life.

Each camp counselor is assigned to a family for the weekend, and the family that I had was incredible. I took tons of pictures, but for legal reasons due the nature of the camp I can't post the pictures of the kids, but I sure can tell you about them! :) I had the privilege of hanging out with an 8 year old boy battling leukemia and his large, but incredibly precious family with 6 kids under the age of 9!!! I definitely had the largest family there by far, and there was never a dull moment that's for sure. I spent the weekend giving piggy back rides, pushing the tire swing, playing games, running, skipping, hiking, treckin' through mud and giggling. 

As counselors, we also hung out with the kids while the parents participated in much needed facials, massages, and support groups with one another. Some of the families have been coming to this camp for years and have built great relationships. In addition to all of the activities, the camp began on Friday with the opening ceremonies where the families bring ashes of the camp fire from last year to kick off this year's camp with the hopes and dreams from the previous years of staff and campers. Throughout the weekend, the families have "wishing scrolls" where they write down their hopes, wishes and dreams and then they share them with everyone if they want to and then throw them into the fire on the last night to close. A lot of the parents wished for good health, and a cure for cancer. Some of the kids got up to share at the closing campfire and it brought tears to my eyes when one of my kids got up there and said, "I wish for no more cancer." 

Not only was this weekend a new, fun experience but it was so neat to get a glimpse into the lives of these families who are battling this disease. Cancer, or any other terminal disease for that matter, really does affect the whole family, and it truly is amazing to learn about how these families cope with it. So although every muscle in my body aches, and I'm beyond exhausted, it was a fun weekend had by all!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Clo,

You are amazing. I have tears in my eyes from reading your post! You are doing so many incredible things, reaching out to so many people. I can't say it enough, but I am so proud of you. I can't wait to hear more about your weekend TOMORROW! IN PERSON!

Karen Carter said...

What a terrific post. You have found your gift...And they are blessed to have you. We all are!! I am so proud of you I can hardly stand it. Cant wait to hear all about your weekend. xoxo Thia