Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Missed Connections and Banana Squash...


So I usually keep my blog free of rantings, however my day yesterday was just too classic to not vent and share with you blog buddies! Yesterday, October 7th, I was supposed to leave for Nashville, TN for an internship interview at Vanderbilt Children's Hospital. My flight was supposed to leave at 11:55 so I got to the airport at about 10:15 to give me enough time to check in and get settled before the flight (plus it's always fun to sit with your coffee and people watch - airports are the best!) When I check in, they weigh my bag and it was 54 lbs... 4 lbs. over the legal limit for domestic flights. The nice, older man at the counter (who I think was joking around when he took me by the hand, looked at the absence of a wedding ring and said, "okay hun, now that I don't see a ring on that finger, I think there's something I can do for you.") But hey, I only had to take out a book and he let the rest go, so God bless him!! ;) 

So we're on the plane, getting ready to take off and all of a sudden the captain comes on the PA - never a good sign. He said that the right engine was not starting and that we needed to go back to the gate for the mechanic to take a look at it. An hour later, we take off and I'm trying not to worry about the connection that I have to make in Atlanta which is only an hour layover. We finally arrive in Atlanta at 7:50 p.m. and my flight leaves at 8:06 p.m. for Nashville. Not only that, but it was in a different terminal! By the time I got off the plane (I was in the back of course) it was 7:59. I ran like hell through the airport and got to the gate at 8:03 p.m. only to discover that the doors were closed and my plane that was scheduled to depart at 8:06 had already left. Not only that, there was no representative at the gate!!! So he finally shows up and directs me to the Customer Service Center to see if I can get on another flight. 

So defeated and out of breath, I make my way to the Customer Service Center in the next terminal. After explaining what happened (which they were clearly not interested in my story, but I sure as heck told them anyway) they rescheduled me on the next flight out which was at 9:50 p.m. The name of the center is ironic because there was absolutely nothing customer oriented about this experience, no apology... nothing. BUT, now comes the GOOD NEWS!! I did get a $7 voucher for dinner to use in the food court. I thought to myself... you have got to be kidding me. 

So I make my way over to the food court and decide to get myself some "dinner" - after all it really is about the silver lining. Thank you Delta. So I stand in line at Sbarro and decide to get the #1 combo which comes with a slice of pizza, a side of veggies, and a diet coke for $6.89. So I get up to the counter, give them my voucher, pick up my tray and start to leave with my bags only to discover that my meal came to $7.37. I actually OWED them 37 cents! Of course I didn't have change on me so I had to break a dollar. So I walked over to a table with my bags and my tray and my pocket full of change, and my side of veggies that was primarily composed of cooked carrots and banana squash - (neither of which I eat on a regular basis) and began to pick at my pizza and my side of veggies with a plastic "spork."

So I get to my gate (early I might add) and thankfully right next to my gate is a starbucks. It was like God was sending me a hug from heaven. I make my way over there because I think to myself that the only thing that was going to redeem this day was a venti pumpkin spice latte to take on the plane. I get in line only to learn that they are closing and all they are selling is coffee and tea. So with my dreams of pumpkin spice dashed, I settled for coffee, got on the plane and after another 30 min. weather delay on the runway, I finally got to Nashville!! Hooray for good friends and big hugs to make my day!!! 

So blog buddies... if you ever find yourself walking aimlessly around the Atlanta airport due to a missed connection, eating cold pizza and veggies with a spork, and you have been mistreated by a trusted airline, please know that you are not alone and you have a friend in me. 

2 comments:

a s h l y n . c a r t e r said...

OH MAN! Sounds like quite the day! Email me and let me know how the interview went!! I want to know everything and want you to catch me up on your so fun life! ashlyncarter@gmail.com

love u.

Karen Carter said...

Only you Chloe...This is so funny! Glad you made it safe and sound(well kinda sound) Give my love to Nashville and get your fanny back home soon. Love you ! Thia ~