Friday, November 21, 2008

Tales from the Recycling Center


Oh boy. What a day. So, I recycle my bottles and cans for two reasons: 1) it's good for the environment, and 2) it's fun extra money. I decided to go to the recycling center yesterday, because I had a lot of bottles, and I had let them pile up for way too long! Going to the center is just an experience in and of itself, and yesterday, I was up for the challenge. So I'm waiting in line with my bags (in my sweats of course... there's even a dress code for the recycling center) and I was standing in line behind this gentleman in the red tank top here in the picture above.(I took this photo with my cell phone, I couldn't resist.) He got my attention when he started speaking to the woman next to him giving her advice on how to put the cans in the machine... "you've got to put the CRV label up so that the machine can read it... and above all, you've got to have a little patience." And believe me, patience he had. He was there for a LONG time with all of those bags. 

So I happen to look over at the man (let's call him "Red") and he was desperately trying to inflate one of his bottles that had been flattened. He stood at the machine, and tried every which way to inflate it enough for the machine to accept it. About a minute later, he retired from the process of using his hands apparently, because before I knew it, he had unscrewed the cap of the bottle, put his lips to the rim of the bottle and blew! Well, it worked, the bottle inflated, and the machine accepted it. 

As if that isn't disgustingly entertaining enough, I look over to the other machine in an attempt to avert my eyes, and what do I see? A three year old standing on an upside down trash can, with his mom handing him Coors Light beer cans so that he can feed them into the machine. Sad? Perhaps. Young talent? Absolutely. 

This concludes this edition of Tales from the Recycling Center. I invite you to go to your own recycling center and share your stories... it really is prime people watching! 

2 comments:

Karen Carter said...

I can see the whole thing like a bad movie in my mind! I can smell the old beer, feel the sticky hands, and could throw up from Red blowing into the bottle. Thanks for sharing...I think?

Casey said...

Yuck!! I agree with Karen. The visual in my head brings back to many memories from when Joe and I where first married and would recycle our cans for extra cash(never beer though!)but the smells from that place and the types of people that would be there(I guess that would include us too!)Whoa! Memories...can you hear Barbara singing now ;)